PPG Network – Recommendations Re Revised Terms of Reference (ToR)
(from Sharon Lyons)
This piece of work was initiated by the Chair in the New Year, a small sub group met in February to look at those aspects of the ToR in need of a refresh.
Focus was given to 3 key aspects.
- Membership of the Network.
At present the ToR suggests that 2 members from a pool of four can attend the Network. In practice on occasion some PPG’s have fielded more than that number. The ToR also notes that a representative from Healthwatch is invited to participate in the Network.
- The ToR restates that no more than 2 PPG representatives attend each Network meeting. These two representatives can continue to be drawn from a pool of 4 from within respective PPG’s and can rotate as agreed within PPG’s.
- When issues requiring a vote e.g. for the appointment of a Chair are tabled, each PPG should cast one vote only. Healthwatch representatives do not have a voting right on PPG Network matters.
- At the discretion of the Chair other individuals may be invited to attend Network meetings this may include Practice Managers, others wishing to observe or contribute to specific agenda items. Guests to Network meetings will not have voting rights.
- Network Officer Appointments
At present a Chair for the Network is appointed on an annual basis
- A Chair should be elected for a three year term
- The Chair may convene a Reference Group comprising up to three interested PPG member. This Group would act in an advisory capacity to the Chair, supporting the formulation of future Agenda’s and facilitating the ongoing work of the Network.
- Meeting Protocols
At present the ToR lacks clarity regarding the management of the Network Agenda.
- Agenda items should be submitted to the Chair no later than two weeks prior to a Network meeting.
- Any invitations to guests to attend are agreed with the Chair
- The Terms of Reference are reviewed on an annual basis at a meeting designated by the Chair.